Father: Abraham SKINNER
- Birth: 18 OCT 1755, Glastonbury,,CT
- Death: 14 JAN 1826, Painesville,,OH
- Burial: Evergreen Cem,Painesville,,OH
Mother: Phoebe STRONG
- Marriage: 13 OCT 1788, Marlboro,,CT
- Mary SKINNER
- Abram Ayers SKINNER
- Pauline SKINNER
- Roderick Washington SKINNER
- Augustus SKINNER
_Abraham SKINNER _____
_Abraham SKINNER _|
| |_Abigail CHAMBERLAIN _
_Abraham SKINNER _|
| | ______________________
| |_Phebe DICKINSON _|
| | |______________________
|_Phoebe STRONG ___|
!Copley, Genevieve Skinner Skinners: Descendants of Thomas
Skinner of Malden, MA pg 113: He served in the Revolution
E96.0512.37 SKU 14(2)41 Skinner Mary
404 Windsor Ln, Kalamazoo, MI 49002-2917: "Some CT Nutmeggers who
Migrated" by Knox, Grace L & Ferris, Barbara B Heritage Books. n.d. p 212
Refs: Rev Soldiers buried in Lake co, OH, p 51; DAR Patriot Index, p 620 -
The Skinner Kinsmen, p 105
E97.0722.02 SKU 15(4)95 Larson, Thalia (7/97)
2318 Via Puerta #B, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
Steed, Mildred. Captain Abraham Skinner was original proprietor of
Fairport. Telegraph April 16, 1976 page 6:
Abraham SKINNER, 1755-1826 [TM 2614], is a descendant of John
SKINNER and Mary LOOMIS [although Skinner Family records indicate
Abraham was a descendant of Thomas Skinner of Malden, MA] from
County Essex, England, who came to America in Rev. Thomas HOOKERıs
company and settled at Hartford, Conn.
He was born Oct. 18, 1755 at Glastonbury, Conn., the third in a family
of 10 children, the son of Abraham and Phoebe (STRONG) SKINNER.
Two of his sisters married pioneers of the Western Reserve. His
sister, Phoebe was the wife of Benjamin BLISH who settled in Mentor
Township, and Jemima who married Benaiah JONES from whom the
GOLDSMITH family are descendants.
Captain SKINNER was married Oct. 13, 1788 to Mary AYERS of
Marlborough, Conn. She was born May 31, 1766 and died Oct. 7, 1812 in
Painesville. She was a sister of Mrs. Joseph PEPOON, another pioneer
settler in this area.
Captain Abraham SKINNER died at New Market (Painesville) on Jan. 14,
1826 and was buried with full Masonic honors in the old Washington
Street Cemetery which was located where the Harvey High School
addition and practice field are today. His grave marker and remains
were moved to Evergreen Cemetery, Painesville, and the old marker
placed on a new foundation.
In the War of the Revolution, he served from the town of East Windsor,
among the men who marched from the Connecticut towns, for the relief
of Boston in the Lexington Alarm of April, 1775 in Captain Amasa
LOOMISı Company. He enlisted again April 24, 1778 in Captain
HARRISONıs company, served eight months, and was commissary of
prisoners in the Fourth Regiment, Connecticut Line, Colonel John DURKE
In 1800, Captain Skinner in company with General Edward PAINE came
to the Western Reserve, and made purchases of land. In conjunction with
Colonel Eleazer PAINE they purchased jointly a tract of land, embracing
all of tract 4, which included Fairport and extending south along Grand
River to the present site of Painesville.
Captain SKINNER returned to Connecticut, remaining in East Hartford
until 1803, when he again visited his Ohio lands in company with the
family of Colonel PAINE. They brought with them horses and cattle,
farming implements and young fruit trees.
They contracted for the clearing of lands, and built log cabins to
shelter the Paine family, and one to be ready for the Skinner family when
In Feb., 1805 he brought his family to their new home. Three large
two-horse sleighs were used to convey the family and household goods.
From Buffalo, the journey was made on the ice of Lake Erie, arriving
March 5, 1805. They had difficulty getting to the shore because the ice
The site of Captain Skinnerıs log cabin was on the northwest corner of
North State Street and Skinner Avenue, facing the Grand River. An
etching of Captain Skinnerıs log cabin site reveals a cabin home with
smoking chimney, bench and drinking pail by the door, a big soap kettle
boiling over a fire a short distance from the cabin and a spring on the
At this time, Colonel Paine and Captain Skinner, together plotted out a
town, this plot included a park of public square, and at the river landing
a log warehouse was built. This town was called ³New Market² from the
old Indian name ³Nemaw Wetaw.²
Skinner was one of the original proprietors of Fairport Harbor. He
owned three warehouses, stores, taverns, a distillery and many other
buildings. His house was the headquarters for gatherings of a public
nature, and the first jail in the county stood in his yard; the first court
in the county (then Geauga) was held in his frame barn.
He built a court house at New Market of hewed walnut logs. At that
time the whole of Cuyahoga, Lake and Ashtabula counties were included
in the limits of Trumbull County. On Dec. 31, 1805, a portion of Trumbull
County was designated to be called Geauga County, the seat of
government to be New Market.
Soon after his arrival Captain Skinner built a frame house which is part
of the main section of the house standing today.
Although New Market had excellent soil and possibilities it never
became well populated. Henry CHAMPION had a land investment called
³Oak Openings² located where the present U.S. Rt. 20 and North State
Street intersect and where St. James Episcopal Church is located.
Children of Captain Abraham and Mary Ayers Skinner were: 1.) Mary
SKINNER, born Sept. 20, 1789, married Homer HINE Oct. 5, 1807, died in
1882 at the age of 93; 2.) Abram Ayers SKINNER, born Oct. 19, 1791,
died 1831 at the age of 40, married Theodocia MEEKER; 3.) Pauline
SKINNER, born March 14, 14, 1794, died 1885 at the age of 91, married to
Nathan PERRY; 4.) Roderick Washington SKINNER, born July 3, 1796, died
Jan. 17, 1871, unmarried; 5.) Augustus SKINNER, born July 7, 1798, died
Feb. 25, 1880, age 82, unmarried.
Sparrowhawk 1.0 (4/17/1996)
Mon Sep 3 16:59:19 2001